Saturday, March 1, 2008

A SOLDIER'S SIGH

It is Army Day today.

I scanned The New Straits Times papers this morning thinking that among the big early-page stories might be some prominent mention of this very significant event for our Army and its members, both past and present.

Except for a brief mention in passing under the caption “Army out-sources non-essential products, services to trim costs” way on page 24, there was nothing about Army Day. Perhaps there were just too many other far more juicy and important stories to fill the pages. Perhaps, Army Day, however significant it might be to the Army and its approximately one hundred thousand serving and many more past members, just could not compete with the other more attention-grabbing topics.

Perhaps, also, as reflected in the poem below, it is just in the nature of things that we have different emphasis and priorities under different circumstances.


A SOLDIER’S SIGH

When time is good and banners proudly fly
When fortunes soar high in clear blue sky
Who is there to exhort and sigh
To caution vigilance but I?
The soldier in company yet lonely
Sans comfort sans family
Fulfilling his duty willing to die
In hostile waters, or freezing mountain high

When success abounds and failures at bay
When only wealth and profits hold sway
Who is there to lament and cry
For guarded caution but I?
Always alert ever prepared be
In good and bad, in triumph, in adversity

When all is well and everything seems right
When the stars shine ever so bright –
Night after night ……
I would still be there mind and body
Forgoing comfort, luxury, and bounty,
To give my all for King and Country

Though now buoyed by peace and plenty
My vigil may seem to most so trivial be
Yet fair weather will not forever endure
For dark clouds will some day appear
When my vigilance will then hold the key
Ensuring our future, the nation’s safety

Thus when the battle drums be sounded
Eager and proud I shall step forward
And as compatriots fall dead and wounded
I shall be there with them to be counted
– A willing warrior, the nation’s defender
Fighting off threats willing and ready
To sacrifice my all – my sworn duty

Yet I wonder……
When I have given my all and all is over
When dark clouds are gone, skies brighter
When I am done and can soldier no longer
Will the country my sacrifice remember?
I wonder… truly I wonder


Oh well, I’m sure there will be some extensive coverage in tomorrow’s papers of the events taking place in Port Dickson today, and possibly some other feature stories too about the Army. Then again, as in the poem, I wonder…

I wish all serving and past-serving members of the Malaysian Army who have given us so much “Selamat menyambut Hari Tentera Darat”.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Before the clock strikes 0000, I wish you "Happy Army Day" :)

Yes, I have high regards for those who had defended our country, Malaysia...

Thank you for all the effort you hv invested for msia :)

Paradin said...

Tq Seer Foon ...

Unknown said...

Happy Army Day Ayah Din :)

Honestly, I was just thinking about this the other day. Because a friend mentioned that she would actually go back and work for the police force. And that got me thinking - no one really cares about how much our soldiers sacrifice; the best way to live life is get a degree, and opt for high-flying jobs, in air-conditioned offices and with good pay of course.

In a way, would have been wise if Malaysia boys are required to undergo army training for a few years like the Singaporean; and I'm not talking about anything like PLKN.

Paradin said...

Thanks for thew kind wish Dira...

Agree with evevruthing you said - although, if properly mamnaged (including extending the duration to say 6 months, managing the whole thing effectively without the emphasis being the contrat opportunities aspects, redesigning and strengthening the curriculum, better ethnic mix and better quality and training for the instructors, making sure EVERYONE in that age group goes through it and not "computer lottery-draw based", and some other rework) even the present PLKN can be a very useful programme. But sadly...

'Life of an Arian' said...

I honestly think that this country takes the lives of army, police, govt officers etc for granted. The commitment given by these special group of people needs to be looked at.

A 'so n so' pension pay is still not good enuf as to compare some has sacrificed their lives for the country. My say is, y spend millions on sending smeone to space just so to put 'us' on the map, y not put the fund 'for the brave' and invest to upgrade shcools for the future of our kids...