Sunday, February 24, 2008

A PERSONAL CRUSADE?

The thing is I don’t have a choice but to stand. The candidates from Barisan Nasional and PAS never really had the interest of the people in their hearts and only think about themselves”. These were words uttered by a widow, 89 years old, who finally succeeded, on her fifth attempt, to register herself as a candidate for the coming elections as an independent in the Kuala Trengganu parliamentary constituency.

Of the many interesting stories in today’s The New Straits Times (25 February) the above was the one that really grabbed me – not only my attention but emotion as well. It was a story that really got me thinking and wondering for some time. Was this merely the antic of a person of unsound mind; or the inevitable and telling fall-out of the decadence of our elected representatives and our political conscience?

My initial conclusion, made with a dismissive light chuckle, was the first.

I just could not imagine anyone of sound mind in her position in life, looked at from any angle, would even contemplate, let alone actually embark on, such an unimaginable and futile task. I could not imagine a sober widow 89 years old, and in her words “just a simple woman trying to make ends meet each month, selling things door to door” would be willing to spend her hard-earned savings on election deposit which she most likely stands to lose. I cannot imagine what sane and logical motivation could sustain such persistence to make her try for a fifth time after failing in four previous attempts – not failing in the elections but failing to even register herself as a candidate. I just could not believe that such guts and determination, sacrifice, and single-mindedness could possibly thrive in a sane mind.

I could be very wrong; at best I was hastily judgmental.

I overlooked the power of virtues – the virtues of honesty, integrity, responsibility, fairness, and righteousness.

My mistake was the fleeting assumption that such virtues can only exist in those of high standing and in leadership positions. My sin was unthinkingly assuming this lady could not be that virtuous, or had the tenacity to stand by her principle and pursue what she feels is conscionably right all the way, no matter the odds. My error was using my own standards and experience in judging the extent of fairness, justice, and rights denied this lady as seen from her modest station in life. And my most unforgivable inadvertence was to judge her all too summarily.

I shall probably never know for certain her true and compelling motivation for doing and undertaking what she did. But I must not again make the mistake I made in judging her by my own lesser standards and lesser virtues tempered by my own logic and, perhaps, my more fortunate experience.

Her close friend who accompanied her to the nomination centre said “Maimun did not want to change the world. She just needs to have her voice, and others like hers, heard”. This, and her comment quoted earlier "I don't have a choice but to stand” would seem to suggest that, for her, the undertaking was a personal and inevitable crusade for righteousness and what is right, that she simply had to embark on however expensive and ridiculous in the eyes of others.

Good luck Puan Maimun – whatever your motivation, you have shown us what “action is louder than words” means. The bedil you fired (perhaps even louder than the one at sunset for berbuka puasa in Kuala Trengganu) was thunderously loud and clear. Perhaps the words in the song Vincent, “they did not listen, they did not know how – perhaps they’ll listen now” might still come true for you. Then again, you might just end up with the last lyric, “they did not listen, they did not know how – perhaps they never will”!

I can only say that whatever the outcome of your undertaking I think you have won your battle. You would have been true to your conscience – which is more than I can say for many of us in more privileged positions.

5 comments:

Wondering Nomad said...

Wow, if this happened here there would be thousands of babyboomers just flinging money and time at her to help her win.

rama said...

i only managed to read her story yesterday. I agree that she just want to show that she is nothappy with her wakil rakyat. she is very brave. i wish there are more people like her.

Paradin said...

Hopefully there might be some support of sort as well in this case - at least I hope she will do well enough to make her point. Certainly the papers seem to be giving her pretty good coverage - 3days in a row now.

Unknown said...

dad!! why u not waste time blogging n stand in 4 election n make a difference. do sumthing bout all the good "ikhlas" ideas n passion u have for the country. if the 89 widow do the best she can to make a diff. like u said she wil lose but she has won her battle cos she has raised eye brows! she is doing if on her own. u hav ur family behind u!

Paradin said...

Because I am not as virtuous and strong as Tok Maimun..... bless her!