Monday, January 14, 2008

WHY DO I BLOG?



Hi Tok & Nek ... I miiiiiissssshhhhh you ...

.
.
After visiting my blog, a close and dear friend asked, “What do you really think you can achieve – do you think anyone will care? Will whatever you write serve any purpose? What do you actually hope to get out of it?”

I knew that the questions and the way they were asked were not meant to be unkind, or to ridicule me or my blog in any way. Perhaps he was just trying to be empathetic believing (and most likely rightly) my effort would not make an iota of difference to anything. Perhaps they were also an extension of his frustrations and disgust, and possibly a sense of helplessness, arising from that conviction. And then again, perhaps he was sincerely and simply trying to find out what I really might be thinking.

These were questions that I had not seriously thought about, and his very dismissive tone had actually caught me by surprise. Going more by instinct, I said to him, “What I know I have achieved is that I have made me feel good in voicing, for what they might be worth, my sincere views on some issues in the country – as for anyone caring, some might, I hope. Does it serve a purpose? It does for me – I feel as if I am offering a tiny little something to share with my fellow Malaysians, with the hope that some might feel as I do and begin sharing their thoughts as well”.

And for completeness I added, “... it really started as a means of keeping in virtual touch with my 2 year-old cucu in Toronto!” That obviously could have no possible argument, and definitely satisfied him. Thanks Sasha – I miiiiissshhh you too!

4 comments:

Wondering Nomad said...

This is actually related to your previous post. In some countries, while access to the internet is allowed, access to blog sites are denied. Some governments see this form of expression as a threat, as blogs are created by real people just voicing their random thoughts. They have no agenda, they just want to put their thoughts out there for anyone in the world to read. Every blogger has his or her own motives for blogging, and every reader has the freedom to choose to be exposed to such musings. The fact that you made this person think about your motivations, and made him care enough to ask you directly means that you did serve a purpose. You made him think....and thats a good start non??

Sash misses you and nek too! I am trying to teach her to salam...so far she thinks it is a prelude to a high five..will take a bit more work.

Ozi said...

tell me who was 'kurang ajar' towards you and your blog... i go have a word with the fella..

Paradin said...

Nobody but nobody Ozi - everyone has been very good....skepticle and a little cynicle ocasionally perhaps. But that's good - its a reaction... No need to sort out anyone!

Unknown said...

As long as you feel good, happy blogging!