Tuesday, January 8, 2008

STATING THE NEGLECTED OBVIOUS

I thought Dato’ Dr. Mohd Tap gave an extremely good and interesting interview on the subject of the standards of conduct expected of leaders (The New Straits Times, Sunday 6th January). He was articulate, forthright, and totally honest – every bit true to the trust he holds in his position as the President of Integrity Institute Malaysia.

I sent him a note (SMS) saying as much. He responded by saying that he was just stating the obvious. My reply to that was “which is needed since we are very good at ignoring the obvious”, which I sincerely think we are – starting from the little everyday things to matters of national importance; from the men in the street to leaders in high positions.

I found the many points made by Dato' Dr. Mohd Tap, especially his strong reiteration that leaders must lead by examples and must be beyond reproach, a real welcome reminder. A fundamental test of leadership is understanding oneself and one's own capacity - does one have the ability and sincere willingness to do what one is supposed to do, to act the way one is supposed to act, to live by the values and principles one is supposed to live by? If at all one is a leader (no matter how big or small, as supposed to being something else) these are the honest qustions one should sincerely ask oneself in deciding whether to offer one's service to be a leader or not.

What Dato' Dr. Mohd Tap did not say, and did not have to, was that for those who cannot live up to that principle then they really have no business occupying their high positions, or fighting so hard to get there in the first place.

8 comments:

little miss whoops said...

uncle, this is Farah, Ed's friend. I took your advice and i read your blog everyday and i must say that it opens my eyes more and more everyday on the current situations in Malaysia, if you get what i mean.

my email is farahalia@gmail.com

Paradin said...

Hi Farah - u must be back in Kent. So glad to see your comments. I think it is really important for the next generation of leaders like you to appreciate what goes on and be able to help correct whatever failings we have as a nation... glad you are getting yourself prepared!

Annie said...

Dear Din (KMJ)

Annie Liza here... Thanks for your sms informing about your blog, been following and catching up on your blog for the past few days.

1st, I can still see ED as the little sweet 6 years old! and now she is going to be 18, and best still, I still feel 25, :-)

Your granddaughter Sash is such a cutie, I followed her development through her mum's blog too.

Your thoughts about the leadership in Malaysia... hmmm...I'm glad to share with you that I'm currently involved / working with the govt to promote and support changes to change the mind set of the upcoming leaders (not in politics directly), obviously this is not a place to talk about it, but I'm glad that having the benefit of interacting and working together with this group gives me hope that the mind set is changing. We can have tea and catch up with each other's progress, perhaps..?

On 15th Jan Tan Sri KSN is having a luncheon talk for AMCHAM members at Le Meridien on the changes that are taking shape within the govt. I have registered to attend, You are welcome to join me if you'd like to. I can sponsor you under my organization, if you wish to...

Let me know, okay.

My email annieliza.csa@gmail.com

Love to re-connect with you again and thank you for having this blog :-)

Paradin said...

1) Hi Annie - glad you are helping out. Be glad to chat sometime.

2) Farah - sorry, I know you are in Surrey not Kent. That wouldn't stop you visiting my blog would it?

Wondering Nomad said...

Hi Ayah, I must say reading your blog brings me back to the dinner table. Good to hear that Uncle Mat Tap is doing what he is doing.

Paradin said...

Hi there Sofi ... glad u r back on air. I didn't realise I was that bad even then! I think you'll fine mama beginning to sound like me too. I am also very glad that uncle Mat Tap is in that job. Let's all give him whatever support we can - that's a tough assignment.

little miss whoops said...

Hi uncle ! Of course it wouldnt ! :)

Unknown said...

leadership ...

im very dissappointed wit the leadership of many things. i feel this bloody world is full of fake ass people. there is no love and fear in God. example is there a need to set up a islamic task force during ramadan to ensure a person fast. if not u "kena samam", teams goin to hotel rooms tryin to catch people "zina/maksiat". we shuld not do things cos of the fear of God. not cos the fear of the law of humiliation of getting cought.

the point im trying to make is that we should do things for the good of all. the honor, the love and the trueness of conduct. to do things for the good of makind. not for self gain.

we hav been largely missrepresented by the leaders. leaders do not reflect the nation at all these days.