Monday, December 31, 2007

MY NEW YEAR WISH



Today is the first day of 2008.

Like many others I would usually go through a fleeting mental ritual of thinking about a wish for the New Year (if for no other reasons than just to be ready for those, especially my youngest daughter, who might ask for my New Year wish). Probably, also like many others, I have usually wished for good health, happiness, and well-being of family members and loved ones.

This year though my wish was more deliberate - given more serious thoughts and contemplation, thoroughly considered, and sincerely wished for. This short poem reflects the thoughts behind the wish.

............................................

HAVE I DONE ENOUGH?


Bless this wonderful country, bless its people, and keep them forever free
Though once, for centuries, many times exploited in your history
In bondage, fought over and bartered away, denied your freedom and liberty
Yet you now hold your head high with pride, spirit, and dignity

A country generous to a fault showering its people with everything in plenty
A country spared of nature’s tantrums and uncertain ferocity
A country where things come easy, where strangers search for prosperity
This place where I was born to which I owe my eternal loyalty

Yet I wonder if I had done enough to repay you for what you have given me
To fight all those who violate your sanctity, trust and dignity
The armed would-be invaders, wayward leaders, extremists, disloyal others
Or have I merely been one of your many ungrateful passengers?

............................................

And as for my wish...
.
I wish "for us Malaysians, as a whole, as a nation, to become truly empowered to help our leaders make this nation become yet a greater nation still, and do greater things".

We need to positively support them with our ideas, sincerely and honestly – after all the millions of us must be smarter than their smaller number. We need to let them know the direction they must take, the examples they must set, and the values we want to inculcate in our people as a nation.

They might not listen to us immediately but then again they might (in the longer run I'm sure they would), but whatever we choose to do or say should be in the sincere interest of the nation, and within the bounds of our established framework and systems always.

9 comments:

'Life of an Arian' said...

as a dad you have done enuf but as a citizen tht defended the nation for the safety of others, i think you have done more thn enuf.....tht shld never be forgotten!!

Wondering Nomad said...

Well said (and wished) Ayah. Have a great 2008. We finished our book last night at 8pm...and now tryine to wean Sasha off TV..may be too late.

Your Favourite Niece: Cicit Jasi said...

Hi Favourite Uncle,

I read this entry with great interest and felt compelled to write.

Today is the 23rd anniversary of our move from Kuantan to London. It’s especially poignant for me because, as you know, I’m planning to emigrate later this year.

My interaction with the English has occasionally been somewhat perplexing and highly amusing. Most of the time people are curious about my roots, my ethnicity and once comfortable with me they’ll enquire. I tell them I was born in Malaysia and state proudly I am Malay and they’ll just laugh and make comments in the vein of: “Yeah, Nads, fine, you’ve got a Malaysian passport but for all intents and purposes, you’re a Brit; you’re London personified.” I never know how to respond to that. From my first day at school here, my Ayah said, “Ingat: you must learn and adapt, integrate, but remember: you are Melayu.” I’ve always felt I’ve struck the right balance.

You ask if you have done enough to repay your country for what it has given you. That made me think. I think I’ve been a good ‘Brit’. I work hard, I pay taxes, I participate in the voting process, I care for my neighbours, I abide by the law (except when I’m bombing down the motorway at 100 mph when the speed limit’s 70 but a little indiscretion is permitted once in a while). What have I contributed to this country? If you listen to Labour’s spiel, it is people of ethnic minorities like my good self that make the country so great; cultural diversity. Hmmm. I wonder. With my move to Malaysia, I wonder what real contribution I can make to ‘my’ country.

The fact is, though I am Malay, it still remains that I really will be an outsider when I return to my homeland. I’ve got to start from square one, with learning Bahasa Malaysia, and it’s much harder this time around; I’m not five anymore. More importantly, I’m told, I need to adjust my outspoken ways and temper my judgment. Ha-ha.

I think, to an extent, I am the result of my ethnicity and culture but it is my wonderful family and my environment and my experiences that moulded me. So it will be with a heavy heart and great apprehension when I finally move to Malaysia. My aspirations for 2008…I aspire to carry on learning, to adapt and grow, to be fearless, to get some sleep...and above all, be a good person.

And my greatest hope for 2008 – to meet Monsieur Wenger and for Arsenal to win the league and lift the European cup; come on the Arsenal!

With love to my lovely aunt, the Man U fan. : -) x

I hope you achieve your wish and I wish you a very Happy New Year, Ayahngah. x

p/s You promised you'd visit once Blair was out; we're now under the reign of Gordon, so you can visit now, isn't it?

Ozi said...

i honestly struggle to have a positive view about out country an its leaders. I have ZERO faith in the decisions made by them. I question their motives. I fear for what we as a nation have become and fear even more at what we will become. I wonder if one person can truly make a difference.

Paradin said...

I believe... as long as we are genuinely concerned for the grester good and not make our every action a selfish manouvre for merely our own benefits alone, we would be contributing to the society... so, Cicit Jassi, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you will be able to make a acontribution. I know you will. So, hurry back.

Paradin said...

Why would you want to wean Sasha off TV? Let her do whatever she wants.... Dont be such a difficult mum with my cucu! I just want this on record for when Sash can read...

Paradin said...

Ozi, I suppose u r right - but then all of us, the 27million Malaysians, are individual ONE PERSONs... and if these one persons feel strongly enough, who knows... there must be something we can do other than crying silently!

Unknown said...

Dear KemPGB, as I have always referred to you. That poem expresses all of you; all that you are, have been, and want to be!

You were always meant to be a leader; and trained to be one, and always meant to assume a greater role! But the idiots run the show today; especially those who ask what can the country do for me!

Maybe it is time for the Founder Secretary of the OPA to return to revive the OPA to acheive its greater good and the vision of the great Templer!

You see, when you passed the baton to me, and I did to Nawawi, little did we know that half-baked people could also become leaders; what more, even leaders of the OPA.

When our alma mater turned 40, I think, in 1992, I wrote an open letter to the OPA AGM, asking the same question, "have we done enough?"

But, then I premised my comments with a statement that as individuals we may all have done what Templer wanted of us, but my question was for the OPA as a group. Most did not like my question, because they saw an ulterior motive to my question. Not really, my question was just your same question although you say it better; and you now can do it to the world!

Keeping asking the right questions, Kem and we may be able to steer this "titanic that is already headed in the worng direction; especially with sleepy capatins who only rearrange deck chairs!

May God have mercy on our ship!

Paradin said...

John - Thanks for the kind comments. I like your 2nd last para analogy. Lets keep on trying to steer it right amd never stop trying.